Spinal Health: Is Sitting The New Smoking?
Sitting down for extended periods of time has the same detrimental effects on our health as smoking.
It’s time for us to stand up (no pun intended) as a population and DO something about our inactivity.
It’s simply not good for our overall health to sit down for hours on end and to forget about movement and exercise. The sad but true fact is that it is now more common for a person to have a daily TV habit (the average is 2 hours per day) than a daily activity habit. It’s simply not good enough and it’s slowly killing us.
Lack of movement and excess sitting has direct links to conditions such as:
- Heart Disease
- Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome
- Depression and other Mental Illness
- Poor Circulation
- Chronic back pain
- Headaches and Migraines
- Spinal disc disease
- Poor Posture
and many more…
You deserve better. Invest in your health and your future and make a change. Move more, move better!
Top Tips to get moving…
- Get up from your desk or the couch every 20 minutes, stand and stretch!
- Park your car further away from work and walk
- Take the stairs
- Walk or cycle to work
- Prioritise exercise in your weekly routine; if you have to, schedule it in, as you would a business meeting or an appointment
- Make it normal to exercise everyday, the same way it is normal to watch TV every day- Aim for four or five 45 minute exercise sessions per week
- Do something active on your weekend instead of staying inside. Go for a hike, go to the beach or play Frisbee in the park
Chiropractic Moves Top 5 Outdoor Activities in Brisbane
New Farm Park
1. Walk up Mount Coot-tha
2. Cycle from Kalinga Park to Nudgee Beach
3. Play frisbee in New Farm Park
4. Rock Climb at Kangaroo Point
5. Walk around the South Bank Parklands
Photo Credit: New Farm Park,